Tulsa based Sentinel Power Services, Inc., is a dynamic and growing engineering and service company that provides electrical system solutions for a wide variety of major industrial customers in the Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri, Louisiana and Texas regions.
Minimum Requirements and Basic Qualifications for Electrical Commissioning Technician:
- A minimum of 4 years of hands-on field experience in commissioning, panel and equipment checkouts, testing of relays, calibrating relays, and troubleshooting control schemes.
- Experience in 3 phase power systems industrial power systems (utility systems can also be acceptable);
- Knowledge of power system protection & control schemes and how they are generated.
- Direct experience of test procedures and test equipment used in NETA testing. A diverse understanding of all tests encompassed in assuring reliability and acceptance to energization.
- Understanding of practical test procedures and can perform basic testing without the assistance of software automation.
- Performing commissioning, acceptance testing / routine maintenance testing, installation, and troubleshooting of industrial distribution and occasional utility substation power equipment
- control system wiring and elements
- relaying (electro-mechanical, solid state and microprocessor)
- transfer systems and lockouts
- fiber optic interfaces
- CT’s, PTs, CCVT’s
- controls and communications equipment testing
- verifying all metering (local and SCADA/Modbus)
- calibrating/programming all relays and being agnostic to manufacturer and types
- trip testing (local and SCADA/GOOSE/MirrorBits)
- digital fault recorders
- power quality analyzers
- sequence of event recorders (SERs) along with end-to-end line/differential relay systems.
- Able to apply test procedures for various types of relay test equipment
- Familiar with various relay testing systems and relays on the market
- Familiar with other elements of the power system and their associated test procedures and the equipment involved in carrying out those elected procedures in the scope
- Candidate is expected to learn and participate in other testing occurring at the site
- The candidate must know how to interrogate a power system in its entirety through studies, one-lines and schematics, and other data to be able to visualize concepts demonstrated in technical manuals to be able to assure the operation of all applicable components.
- Understanding of relay coordination and protection system design and implementation is paramount (example: motor protection set-points). Also u
- Understanding the intended purpose of testing and settings across all types of power system components will be necessary.
- A proper understanding and technical command of NETA, NESC, NEC, NFPA-70E, IEEE, ANSI, and other applicable standards, regulations and guidelines to fulfill proper commissioning and testing guidelines.
- Substation awareness and safety consciousness are an absolute requirement with a history of safety.
- Aptitude to quickly learn and apply test procedures for various types of substation equipment
- Expected to learn equipment and systems on their own without expectation of training or formal instruction.
- Ability to perform customer interfacing and communication among clients and professionals/coworkers.
- Strong command of English language, technical writing, and can conduct meetings on their own and maintain a strong, confident client-friendly demeanor.
- Summation and analysis of complete jobs and packaging and issuing information to a client with technical acuity in the summation of the work.
- Perform routine troubleshooting and repair of substation relaying and control equipment in substations.
- Organizing and assisting with planning, scheduling, and completing test activities efficiently, on time and without interference to the client.
- Fluent usage of computers, software, and communication apparatuses with an in-depth background in their uses for power system devices
- AS/BS in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technologiesor equivalent degree or experience. Higher degrees (MS/Ph.D) will be given considerations as well.
- EIT/PE is very desirable but not required for consideration.
- NETA/NICET certifications are a plus.
- 6+ years experience is preferred, though not required, with a track record of job management / PM for commissioning and testing jobs. Large projects are a plus.
- Technical experience or specialized training that interpolates well with the given responsibilities described will be given consideration
- Able to pass a pre-employment drug screen, random drug screenings, complete a satisfactory 10 year criminal background check, able to work overtime, holidays, weekends, and travel out of town.
- Able to climb ladders, stand for extended periods, able to lift 70 lbs. During testing, sitting for long extended periods and typing for a duration will also be needed.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and currently have and can maintain a good driving record throughout employment.
- Must be able to work indoors and outdoors and capable of close and far depth perception.
- Must have basic tools to perform duties safely.
Work is varied, including in-office projects along with the on-site projects across Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Missouri, Louisiana and Arkansas. Sentinel is an equal opportunity employer.
|Job Category||Sentinel Field Services|